Randy tells Jim about a scheme that uses Mach's Principle - the idea that there is a preferred background frame with respect to the fixed stars - to explain the origin of inertia. Why exactly does an object in motion stay in motion?
1. The papers we read for this program:
- The Origin of Inertia , James Woodward (blog post, 1998)
- On the Origin of Inertia, Sciama, D. W., Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 113, 34 (1953)
- Study on Inertia as a Gravity Induced Property of Mass, in an Infinite Hubble Expanding Universe,Jeroen van Engelshoven, Advances in Mathematical Physics 2013, 801574 (2013)
- On the Origin of Mass, Wilczek, F.
2. In addition, Randy sent me a lot of blog and other forum posts for background:
3. Our discussion on Gravitoelectromagnetism..
4. Our discussion of Aharonov and Rohrlich's Quantum Paradoxes, nine of the ten recorded episodes. I don't think we get into the retrocausal part of it.
5. Our subreddit.